Here is one of the yummiest low-carb, paleo, keto and vegan Pestos I have ever tried. It is inspired by an awesome recipe I found at ambitious kitchen, and adjusted to further fit my low-carb macro nutritional goals and our taste.
This pesto keeps for up to a week in the fridge. As many people who have made pesto themselves have had to find out, the problem with keeping it is that it turns brown very quickly. I tried lots of different ways of avoiding that, including covering the top with oil or putting the pesto in an airtight container. Nothing really worked. Then I found the easy-peasy solution: water. Just cover the pesto with a layer of water. It doesn’t permeate the pesto. It doesn’t change the taste. It keeps it perfectly sealed. Just pour it out the next time you want to use the pesto!
In the future I hope to share with you more and more recipes for pesto, including a wonderful red pesto with sun-dried tomatoes and walnuts. But first, here it is: the 15-minute hassle-free super-creamy:
Low-Carb Avocado-Basil Pesto
Makes about 2 cups of pesto. Preparation time: 10 min.
- 1 big ripe avocado, peeled
- the basil leaves of 1 whole basil plant/ about 2 packed cups of basil leaves, cleaned
- 4 Tbsp pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (beware of cheap, strong tasting olive oils here)
- 1/2 cup of Grana Padano, grated
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Place avocado, basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts and lemon in the food processor and buzz it up until everything is well chopped up.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper and buzz up again until you have a smooth pesto cream.
- Mix with cheese, put in an airtight container, cover with water, refrigerate.
Enjoy and let me know what you think! 🙂